Hosted by Bonnie Wolkenstein, Ph.D.
Guanajuato Writing Retreat 2021, Overview
On every level, from the personal to the international, we have been through a rough time. For many, our sense of certainty, clarity, and personal and creative purpose have been challenged. It is time to replenish, take a well-needed leave from our every-day lives, invite ourselves to explore what matters most to us, and to find the voice that wishes to emerge now.
Come with me to the Guanajuato Writing Retreat 2021 in beautiful Guanajuato, Mexico, for a full-week writing retreat – replenishment, creative and personal exploration, and, what any writer craves: inspiration and time to write.
We’ll stay at The Florecer Casitas, where you won’t be able to resist the invitation to rest and nourish your body, and invigorate your senses with the vibrancy of this gorgeous colonial city. Leave feeling restored and inspired, in touch with what you will carry with you into the next stage of your personal and creative voice.
Guanajuato Writing Retreat is for writers seeking time, space and creative innovation for their own work, and the chance to create a supportive writing community in a home-away-from-home environment. Mornings will include activities to foster creativity and self-exploration (mindfulness meditation, creative prompts, and process group time for exploring our internal landscapes and encouraging ourselves to understand/explore sides of ourselves often unseen).
During the day, we will have plenty of time to write, as well as explore and be inspired by Guanajuato’s colorful sights, sounds and its mix of historic and present-day Mexico. Excursions and activities will correspond to that day’s themes for self-exploration and writing. In the evenings, we will deepen our connections through meals, conversation, and the opportunity to share or workshop our day’s writing. Our experiences will culminate in a public reading shared with local writers.
Guanajuato Writing Retreat 2021 Pricing:
- $1495.00 USD per person, double occupancy
- Limited to 10 participants
- Rest, inspiration, perspective, clarity and community!
- 7 nights at Florecer, double occupancy
- Group airport transfer to and from Florecer
- Dinner out on Sunday, November 14th
- Breakfast on Monday, November 15th
- Three dinners (including the one cooking class that will precede one dinner)
- Half-day tour of Guanajuato on Monday, November 15th (including a stop for groceries!)
- Guided hike by a local Guanajuatense in the Sierra mountains to a unique and inspirational location
- Day trip to La Cañada de la Virgin – all costs included: Transportation, entrance fee, private tour with Dr. Rossana Quiroz (one of the original archeologists of the site) and lunch/private workshop with Dr. Quiroz at her Museo Astronomía Prehispánica
- Final night reading/open mic with local writers and poets – beverages and snacks
- Snacks, tea and coffee on workshop days
- Daily yoga and meditation option
- Daily workshops with Bonnie
- All workshop materials
Does NOT include:
- Round trip airfare [Currently about $500 USD from SEA to Leon (BJX)]
- Individual taxis to and from the airport if you don’t arrive with the group (about $30 USD for the 30-minute drive; simple to get in line at the taxi desk to pay and go)
- Meals: Each casita has a beautiful, well-appointed kitchen for fixing breakfasts and lunches on our own. Three dinners will be provided in the Big House (one of which will follow a cooking class); other dinners will be a group effort, family style, made in the Big House dream kitchen and shared at the big dining table or out on the terrace
- FYI, a nice dinner with drinks at a Guanajuato restaurant is about $12-18 USD
Photography by Bonnie Wolkenstein, Ph.D. All rights reserved.